About Lexington 2017
This Great American Fitness Challenge at the University of Kentucky features “The Big Blue UK 5K” and the Physical Standards Test (PST) for two of America’s elite Military Special Operations Forces. It is designed to measure personal fitness and provide anyone at any level of fitness a means to measure their progress while competing for medals as the top performers in their age/gender categories. The Sea version of the Challenge involves water and a swim in the Lancaster Center pool followed by field body weight exercises and a 1.5 mile timed run around Pieratt Field. The Land version has no pool time but additional ground to cover with the very special Ranger 5K.
This event is open to all participants wanting to measure their fitness success and will feature exercises to test strength and endurance while providing a PST score to see how they measure up with our elite forces. On hand to challenge and “encourage” participants will be former active duty Special Operations Land and Sea personnel to serve as Mentors for the Day. A training tool developed by the GAFC, using a special forces online fitness app, can found here.
The event will take place at the University of Kentucky’s award winning campus facilities, in the heart of UK’s Sport Complex including the Lancaster Aquatic Center, Pieratt Field and Commonwealth Stadium. Runners will enjoy circling Commonwealth Stadium, the Nutter Center and the new football training facility from every angle as they race to finish their run and score as high as possible on the Land PST.
- OPEN TO ALL Women and men at any fitness level
- Big Blue UK 5K – 8:00am
- The “LAND” Challenge features field body weight exercises (timed push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups) and the awesome “Ranger 5k”.
- The “SEA” Challenge features a 500 yards swim (breast stroke or “Combat Stroke”) followed by field body weight exercises (timed push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups) and a 1.5 mile timed run.
- We call it Special Operations because we use the Physical Standards Test (PST) used by two of America’s elite Military Special Operations Forces.
- T-Shirts, medals, trophies. Reserve a slot (they fill up!).
- Entry Fee: $50.
- EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT: $45 through May 1.